View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
...things happen. It was 41-6 at the half and the home team had one field goal the entire first half (a 3-pointer).

We had the winning team call a 30-second timeout essentially to sub. Other team was ready quickly.

Partner was the trail backcourt and didn't take the time to wait for me to give him the thumbs up. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I, too, wanted to get it going.

Coming up the floor, I heard some mumbling and quickly realized the losing team had six on the floor. Dammit. I whistle, we administer the technical.

Final is something like 77-30. At least we were in the car by 9PM.

Where's my good game? Huh?
Rich,

I do not officiate basketball, but do read a lot of the posts. I thought I had read that, if the ball was put into play with six players on the floor, the whistle was sounded and the player was removed with no penalty as the official had failed to count.

I even saw this last night at my son's game. Near the end of a fairly close game, we had a sub at the table. The ball went out-of-bounds under the basket and the old trail/new lead beckoned the sub into the game. There was some confusion between our players as to who was to go out and no one left. The coach was talking to an assistant and did not realize no one had come off. The new trail put the ball into play and as the ball was coming up the court, the new lead realized no one had left. He blew the whistle, had the player leave, and resumed the game with a throw-in. The visiting coach questioned him and I could hear the explanation that it was an official's error for not counting. The coach accepted the explaination and the game continued without any problems.

So there should have been a technical even though the officials messed up?