View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
When we decide to set aside a rule because its a lower level game we do the player/coaches/fans & most importantly your fellow officials a huge disservice.

The lower level games is where we get the chance to enforce the majority of the rule book. Those obscure rules that we never get to administer @ higher level games almost always come up @ the lower level games.

IMHO..When they do come up and we decide to set aside the rule we train the coaches/players & fans the wrong rule administration. This then sets our fellow officials up for failure when the play happens to them with the same team and they administer it the correct way

I'll reply to you because you respectfully said "in your opinion". I do grammar school games and youth games because I love the kids, not because I need to fine tune my mechanics as was implied by 'blind'zebra. In 8 years of reffing and thousands of games I think I gave a team foul two or three times for the flow of the game and the particular situation that can't be relived here. I've always prefaced to the scorer, quietly, who maybe a Mom or 8th grader that "I goofed" so lets put down a team foul. I have too much respect for the game, players, parents and coaches to phone in a game. I come on time, dressed properly, hustle, and perform my duties as an official on the highest level and like you, don't like to see the indifference on occassion by officials for lower level games. I will say, I haven't seen much of this in past few years in my area which is good.

If you interpreted my giving a team foul to an underclass game as being flippant and disrespectful at that level it wasn't intended to be.

We can argue about rules and what is the right call etc., but for someone to pontificate and come of as a pompous jerk, gives me a little insight to their people skills. I won't tolerate that and will respond in kind.

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 09:16am.