View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I was going to ask you about this, because I've always been taught in this type of situation to grant the timeout. Obviously it looked terrible in your situation because there was such a delay...

The better scenario is after a made basket by B, Coach B requests a TO and I see this request and wish to grant it, but in the time between when I register the request and when I start blowing my whistle, A gathers the ball. In your reading, I shouldn't grant the TO, correct? This is one I've always been taught, and always have, granted. Same in a "scrum heading to a held ball" or a trap with violation or foul type of scenario. If the request came before and as an official I just didn't process fast enough, I should grant the TO.

Interested in your and others' thoughts?
It's okay to be a tad late because you are visually confirming that it is indeed the HEAD coach who is making the request. That is usually accepted without a problem. However, timing is everything in a play like this and the later that you are the more grief it is going to cause.