View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
If I may...I'll jump in here late.

I have to admit...I skimmed this thread...so forgive me if I missed what I am about to propose.

Sooo, Nevada...if an official is looking at the clock, as he is in the process of granting a TO...but, the official fumbles around and does not get air in the whistle untill after the final horn sounds...are the Coach and team, that wanted the TO, out of luck?

If your answer is NO(the Coach is not out of luck)...you would grant the TO and put the appropriate time on the clock...then wouldn't you agree that JR's interp is correct?

Some officials may be quicker at the TO granting procedure...some officials are slower...some officials may fumble around with their whistle...shouldn't a team have confidence of knowing there can at least be consistency when applying the rules as JR has stated?
Personally, I do think that the team is out of luck and loses those few seconds. This is just a human mistake by an official. Mistakes get made throughout the game and calls get missed.
The same would be true if the official attempted to call a violation or a foul and fumbles around with his whistle, time isn't put back on the clock.

Can you imagine an official instructing the timer to reset the clock to 4:03 because that is when he intended to blow the whistle? That's ridiculous.

In fact, I had this exact situation in a game earlier this year. Team A scored and Team B gathered the ball and stepped OOB. I was the new Trail (tableside). My partner was the new lead (also tableside as it was 3-man and we had a C).

B1 throws the ball into the court, but B2 misses it and it bounces TWICE in the court and then goes OOB untouched on the sideline next to the C. There is a whistle which I assume is from the C, but he just looked at me, when the Trail came running in and said that the coach of Team B requested a time-out and he was late granting it. This situation made us look silly and almost caused the coach of Team A to take a T. After the game in the lockerroom my partner confessed that he had spat his whistle out of his mouth while attempting to blow it. That is what caused the severe delay. We had a laugh about it.

PS JR's point intrigues me, but I don't agree with it. I don't think that is a reasonable way to interpret the rule. We have a different understanding of when the clock SHOULD be stopped.