View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
That sure sounds like a do-over...which is what you pointed out the NFHS has said is not allowed.
A do-over would be if, after the ball had been touched and time chopped, you then realized the clock had run extra, blew your whistle, and put the entire time back on the clock and went back to the original throw-in spot.

Using POI is your only option if the ball hasn't been touched, and POI is the throw-in. It matters not where the ball is - since the throw-in hasn't ended, it is the POI.

Quote:
But for now...assume the touch came first. Does that change what you would do?
It would me. I would blow it dead as soon as I realized the issue, use my backcourt count to determine how much time had come off after the ball was touched, take that off of the original time and reset the clock, then inbound at the point nearest the ball when I blew it dead.

In this case, POI is team control with the ball at the point the player had it, so that is why we go to the nearest point.

Quote:
Why not let the play continue and at the next dead ball add the 5 seconds that you know came off the clock improperly?
What if the next dead ball isn't until the game is over? Best to take care of it at the time.