View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
On a play like this I check the clock to make sure that the timer properly waits to start it. So I would have seen it start and caught it after only a couple of seconds came off. At that point I would have sounded the whistle, which would have been well before the player touched the ball inbounds, and reset the clock to 34. Since the stoppage came DURING a throw-in that is the POI and the game is resumed with a throw-in for the same team from the same location.
That sure sounds like a do-over...which is what you pointed out the NFHS has said is not allowed.

Also...there is some doubt the whistle came during the throw-in. As the new trail, I was following the ball and the player up the court, with my hand in the air, ready to chop in time as soon as the ball is touched. My partner is about half-way between the division line and the free throw line. The only clock/scoreboard is on the scorer's table and only my partner could see it. He is not watching when the ball is touched and I am not watching the clock. I heard his whistle just as the player picked up the ball. It was close...and I could not say for sure which came first. But for now...assume the touch came first. Does that change what you would do?

Why not let the play continue and at the next dead ball add the 5 seconds that you know came off the clock improperly?