View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
He (no misogyny intended -- the players who slap the backboard are almost always male) might be faked out enough to touch the backboard, or might miss a ball in the air and slap the backboard.

I'd have a T in the original play 99.5% of the time.
No misogyny inferred. You're right. Girls and women not only aren't as tall, they generally don't play the kind of game that would ever include the chance to slap. Not that it never happens, just much, much less likely.

I'm glad to hear your assessment of varsity abilities. As I'm going to be doing more boys' games (sooner or later), I want to have a handle on what's generally done and not done, possible and not possible, called and not called. If I do some of the theoretical groundwork now, it increases my learning curve.

Another question, do you (or any other forum people) ever interpret a board slap as an attempt to maintain balance or to control the body and be safe? I've seen times in college ball on TV where it looked like the player was simply trying to steady or "right" themselves, usually on a block attempt where they missed the ball, but sometimes just a high flying defensive maneuver that goes awry. Generally, these don't seem so much like slaps, so perhaps that's the category. Just wondering.