View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
On the travel, the C had to look past/between at least 4 players. The way the play developed the Lead was not right up on the play and he had a whistle. Yes, I have talked about traveling in front of the Lead in pregame and it always involves the Trail helping out. It just isn't normal for the C to have a clear view of a traveling play in front of the Lead.

On the drive, the Lead was not rotating - the Lead was ball watching. Again, he had to look past at least 4 players closer to him. There are plays where the Lead is forced to call across the paint: plays where the C physically cannot see contact or non-basketball plays. I am of the strong opinion that when a drive comes from the C on an angle this is the C's play. When the Lead constantly makes these calls it negates the reason for the C in the first place.

I think there are certain fundamentals involved with having three officials - primary areas of coverage. Coming out of those areas should be done for a specific reason. IMO, a double whistle that is clearly in a primary area, especially between the Lead and C, is not a good double whistle. Is it a coincident that officials normally have a reason for looking past matchups to make a call out of their primary? I think not. It is called ball-watching.

BTW, the official I talked to last night is known for watching the ball and calling all over the court. He will rationalize it every time, but I have looked in his eyes during games and he watches the ball.

I know (personally) of zero officials who advocate calling all over the court. Sure, I've heard many officials say they don't mind someone making a call right in front of them, but when we hit the court it just doesn't happen that way.
Those are much better descriptions. I do not know if I would have ever seen any of those plays based on what you have just described.

Peace