View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 08:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Scrapper and others: That bet is made because these "jokes" are made so casually many take them as par for the course.
So it's offensive when somebody attempts humor that points out a stereotype of some women, but it's perfectly fine for you to insult an entire gender by seriously -- not jokingly -- stating that men are incapable of discerning humor from bigotry? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, Rita. The air must be pretty thin way up on that high horse.

Quote:
There was one that you all missed. And I'm not surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The boys sophomore coach at my local school is a woman.

Hey - that's not nice. Oh wait - you mean for real. Sorry.
You know why we "missed" it, Rita? Because it's not a joke about the woman. It's a joke about language!!! The humor is in the fact that "sophomore" might refer to the coach (as in, "sophomoric") instead of to the team of sophomore-aged boys. It has nothing at all to do with the gender of the coach.

If you take a moment to try NOT to be offended, sometimes you find that there's actually no offense to be taken.

Quote:
He didn't do it again. And I don't think he will as casually in the future because I handled it well.
I wasn't there, but I personally don't think you handled it well. You escalated the situation when you could've made your exact same point with a sarcastic comment like, "Yeah, you wouldn't want that!"

Quote:
So, Scrapper and others, if you find it offensive that I have indicated my low expectations of your sensitivity, please forgive me.
I probably will. But I have to tell you that your post touched a real nerve. Not because you're so quick to point out possibly offensive comments by other; but by your callous willingness to engage in exactly the behavior that you're so offended by in others.