Thread: legal or not?
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
A1 dives for loose ball and controls it while sliding ... A1 comes to rest on stomach with ball in their hands out in front of them. From that point can A1 turn over (180 degree turn) to pass the ball ... I have always thought this to be a violation, however while working a two-man varsity tournamrent over the weekend the veteran official passes on this as it was in his primary. When discussed after the game with some of the tournament staff the vet official said in order to be a travel the player had to be a 360 degree which is how a roll is defined. And went on to say the player is allowed to have the opportunity to turn over to pass it??????????

Tell me he is completely wrong.
Johnny,
We had a thread on this back at the start of the season. The thread is now closed.
Throw-in/Traveling
You should give it a read and see if it leads you to do any reflection.

Therein I wrote the following post (#35) which sparked the debate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
If A1 finishes the slide, he may not roll to either side to protect the ball. As you say, if he ends on his back, he may sit up. Once the body begins rotating after the slide has finished, the traveling violation occurs.

To answer your question, violation per 4.44.5 B. That case expounds on a lot of things.

Yep, that's a great case play. Lots of information in there.
Unfortunately, you have hit upon one of my pet peeves. I see far too many officials penalize kids for making good plays by hustling and exerting effort simply because these officials don't fully understand the traveling rule. I don't know how you came to believe the above statements, but neither one of them is true.

Here's the text of that case play:
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

As you can see it is only illegal to "roll over." Now I don't know how you define that, but any reasonable person wouldn't consider it to be twisting to the side to protect the ball or the start of the rotation of the body.

The rules don't say that it is illegal to roll to the side, turn away from an opponent, or twist the body. If the NFHS wanted those actions to be illegal, they would have said so.

Perhaps JR will be kind enough to have his dog demonstrate rolling over for us.