View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
IMO there are a few items that are reasonable to "adjust" based on how your partners are calling the game - and I say partners b/c to me it doesn't matter who has what "philosophy" be it the R or whoever, you are all out there calling the game once it goes up and neither coach could care less what calls the R makes vs. the other two officials...one item that should be consistent is the illegal screen. If my partner gets one at one end I am going to be on high alert for one on the other end - again not fishing per se, but if there is one there I am going to get it. The other item is carrying the basketball. Same thing, if A's point guard does it and my partner gets it, I am going to be watching B's point guard also...and God forbid we get a 3-second on one end, you better be watching the other end as well...other than that, there isn't a whole lot you can do IMO. First of all if your partner has a common foul in their PCA, you aren't going to necessarily know how "tight" they are calling it b/c most likely you are off ball - how are you going to know what to adjust? Like I said JMO, but other than those few items, I just call my own game, worrying about adjusting too much can get you into trouble..
I really disagree with this. You don't (and shouldn't) have any idea why your partner called the 3 seconds. He could have told the player the last 3 times down the floor to get out of the lane and then finally got him b/c he wouldn't listen. That players inability to adjust shouldn't dictate you being any more willing to call 3 seconds on the other team than you normally would be.