View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
In my brief carrier, one thing that I have noticed that varies frequently among different calling styles is traveling. Especially in lower level games where you see more of it. However, some refs call it tight regardless of the level. Try to grab at least a few seconds and discuss this with your partner if you can. When you have one ref calling travel on every little drag or slight stammer and the other official is letting some of those things go, the lopsided calling is obvious. However, as Nevada stated, if you try to change your officiating style to match someone else’s, you will not be happy with your self afterwards.
I have a different theory on traveling. If you call it consistently in the lower levels, then they learn and it won't be a problem in the higher levels. Currently in the higher levels, college and high school, I tend to call the obvious traveling calls. If I can't get it the first time, because it may be borderline, to quick or ugly, then it is probably either not traveling or getting kicked. Regardless of what same may think on here, assignors have a problem with officials who want to over officiate and constantly interrupt the game with borderline, non-advantageous calls like a slight/possible travel, or slightly stepping over the endline on a throw-in after a basket.

And I guess since I may be your first response, I think you meant to say "career" vs. carrier.