View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
I accept that you do not agree. And I have no problem with that.

This is a simple and common situation. A player is dribbling, closely guarded, and moves behind a screen, and comes out the other side a second or two later. Simple question: does the count end or continue?

Yet, there is no single case book play that deals with it. I cite the plain language of the rule. You cite case book plays that do not directly address this regular occurance. As I said, I have been instructed repeatedly that the count ends when the screen intervenes.

I have read the cases you cite...and others. I can find nothing to make me question the interpreter that has instructed me.
Think you and your interpreter need to relook at the rule book closely

1) if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control.

2) Multiple defenders. The count should continue even if there is a defensive switch, provided the six-foot distance is maintained. There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as the offensive player is closely guarded throughout.

Normally in a screening situation (unless I ve missed some basic basketball,
1) The defender either goes around the screen and continues to guard the player and as long as he wiithin six feet (of the dribbler) or the screener and continues to guard it is a violation

2) There is a defensive switch and as long as both defenders maintained the 6 feet the count continues. Some may like the NCAA rule better, but for now until the rule is changed it is the rule.

This may sound terrible, but this is what gets us in trouble. If we make stuff up that just aint there we contribute to the myths and the "inconsistency" that coaches $itch about"