View Single Post
Old Tue May 28, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

No way do you need 6 umps on a small field. Little League must have done that just for show.

Replays are another story, and certainly worth consideration. But it seems to me that missed calls in football can be remedied far easier than in baseball, where a call that is made immediately can have repercussions throughout a play. They call a trap but it turns out it was a catch. Meanwhile, they threw a runner out. Maybe certain plays, like fair and foul home runs, would be OK, but what about safe and out at first? Why not have Honeywell devise a system of sensors that would be accurate to a zillionth of a second? Years ago, an electronic strike zone (adjusted for each batter) was used experimentally, and it was 100% consistent, but nobody liked it. (My guess is it called a perfectly rectangular zone, whereas the real-life zone is an oval, with a top lower than where they were setting their machine.)

Give each team three cracks at the replay? "Hey, that was a balk. We'll take one of or cracks now!"

Good food for thought, Pete.