View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO77
When I read the 20 fundamentals in the back of the rule book I really dont get anything out of them...that is, what makes these 20 statements sooo fundamental? When I think of a fundamental statement it should be short, easy to remember and has a lot of weight. Most of the 20 statements in the rb are not that way imo. Their long, wordy (some have the word 'except' in them), not ez to remember and not anymore important than any other rule in the rb.

Not all of the 20 statements are bad, but most of them could be removed and not be missed.
I am going to disagree. If you understand the fundamentals many of the rule interpretations we have to use are easy. If you look at discussions over the past several days, many of them are directly related to fundamentals...

Example...
Continuous motion" applies both to tries and taps for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by the defense during interval begins when the habitual trying or tapping motion starts and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

Seems there was a long discussion about when a try ends on shooters who shoot the ball and dont leave the ground...

How about all the high school refs that call a foul (incorrectly) before the shot, when a player is driving and has picked up the ball on the way to the basket

Lets take another

Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

How many times do we hear or see a throw-in incorrectly called because a player moved his pivot foot, of player cant bounce ball, or the best one.. The referees that use a travel signal for a throw-in violation... Cant be done..

If you know the fundamentals you'll get plays right!