View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 01:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Awful, awful basketball

- More travels than I've seen in entire seasons.

- Six players jumping up on every rebound.

- Once the rebound is secured, 2 defenders doing everything possible to get the ball from the rebounder. This usually involved us calling fouls.

-Coach yelling at me that I missed 2 line calls on the other side of the court in the corner. Any kind of response would've been like acknowledging his presence. Surreal. His players traveled four consecutive trips down the floor and he thinks I missed a tip in the far corner, in a spot he has no hope of seeing. He yells at me. I'd acknowledge him or whack him, but that would require me to act like he existed.

-Later he's screaming across the court (working 2-person) that I called a foul on the wrong person. #3 swings at a shot and clips the arm of the shooter. Another player actually has good verticality (pretty easy, I guess, when you don't jump) and the coach wanted the foul on that player cause the "swiper" already had 3.

-Bonus by the end of the third quarter. Both teams. Both teams double bonus by early fourth quarter. At least 90% of the fouls were avoidable if the teams didn't think grabbing players and knocking them over was sound defensive strategy.

-Other coach telling me that he can't believe that we missed so many "over the back" fouls. Coach, they are tall and jumping. Your players are shorter and not leaving their feet.

The final was something like 48-30. Losing team 1-6. I'm amazed they've won the 1.

This makes three terrible games in a row. I should've stayed home and watched Boston Legal. Denny Crane.

Please, oh please let me have a better one Thursday.

I didn't mention the gender or level on purpose. It was a varsity game, BTW.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 01:38am.