View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Now, there is a myth. That would all depend on the instructor-to-student ratio. I've met quite a few people who believed (and it is a viable complaint) that they were cheated by an over-booked school.

I believe the standard is no more than 25 students per instructor, yet there have been schools in the past that got well over 100 without adding help.
Having been on the planning committee for the 2006 NUS in Seattle - the one they all talk about breaking the records with 276 students - bigger was not better. I also tallied all of the evaluations, and the biggest complaints were:

(a) Not enough time to repeat drills. Too many students in each group meant less cycles through the drills
(b) Student to instructor ratio was too high. We supplimented the NUS with local staff to help out, but the students prefered to be taught by NUS, NOT locals.

There were multiple lessons learned, but those were the big ones. One good thing that came out of it is that because of the size and the lessons that were learned, it became a teaching experience in and of itself to the NUS on how a school should (or shouldn't) be run.

(We did, however, have enough beer for hospitality... went through 4 kegs in 2 days with that crowd! - and yes, that was my responsibility... )