View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:39pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Just curious, if you didn't give her a visual and/or verbal signal that it was a spot throw-in, you still give her the violation? I'm assuming this is a FED rules game. I am also assuming that you didn't know if you did or didn't at the time of the violation, but was told by your partner after the fact.

I ask because if I didn't give a verbal or a visual signal (I usually give both) and the girl starts to run, I'm blowing the whistle and calling her back and readministering. We are required to give a verbal and visual signal for spot throw-ins when the clock is stopped (which I think is all the time for a spot throw-in). Again FED mechanics.
This hasn't been specifically addressed by our board that I know of but I usually always just point to a spot before I give the ball to the player. That being said, even if I don't, and she takes off running the baseline, I'm probably calling the violation. The players should know it's a spot throw-in. The only time I usually say something to a player is in a sitch like after a TO after a made basket. When I administer the throw-in, I remind them they can run the baseline.