Thread: Phillip
View Single Post
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am reading too much into it, after all I did not see the play or the game, but I keep reading Phillip's comments about Shaq getting a 3rd foul in the game the other night seem ridiculous to me. I have read him say "when a player is on the way to 50, you can't take him out of the game with fouls". Just read another one where he says ''When he's playing a very good basketball game, a high-quality game, he should have an opportunity to play.'' Mr. Vanessa Williams was even better saying Shaq rarely gets three O-fouls without "really exerting some force".

Those were all coupled with a "we expect a stronger officiating crew next game".

I think we all know there is a star system in the ballet, but this takes it to a new level. Where do the Lakers get off thinking that just because he is having a good game, the refs are not allowed to call a foul on him? I am sure the hardest thing any of the NBA refs have to go through is reffing Shaq. Stern should implement a new rule, each team gets to pick one guy who cannot foul out. Maybe that would make Phillip happy and end the whole block/charge debate on when shaq goes to the hole.

And, I throw a question out to the "old timers" that might have watch Wilt play. Did he not foul out because he didn't foul, or was it because the refs cut him slack like Shaq gets.