View Single Post
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by soonerfan

Originally posted by Marty Rogers [/i]

Hmmm...if I were a coach I would lose it and would say every curse word I could think of if your partner were to disallow a base because we did not cover it in the plate meeting! People do not come to games to see us umpire. We dress professional and try to look sharp to have a credible impression, we apply the rules to the spirit of the game. Pulling a rule out of nowhere for some unknown reason would set any high school or college coach here in flames.

Let's see this F1 just walked 2 batters in a row, had a count of 2-0 and threw a wild pitch. Regardless if the umpire got this call correct or not, does not give a HS coach (probably a teacher as well) carte blanche to lose it and start cursing at the umpire.

Most HS coaches are teachers. Suppose Little Johnny didn't do his homework the night before would you deem it acceptable behavior if this teacher lost it and cursed out this student. If the teacher did that - goodby tenure

Also, this F1 walked 2 batters in a row and even if the umpire didn't make the correct call, chances are he would have walked batter number 3. Now can Blue lose it and start cursing at the coach "Common coach get someone in here who knows how to pitch".

It amazes me that no matter how bad a game is (F1 can't find the plate, the defense can't make a play), that when Blue makes a mistake people think it's ok to lose it and start cursing them out and then we wonder why there is a general lack of officials around the country.

If you as coach did lose it and start cursing, you might as well head for the parking lot and be ready to answer your AD, because a letter is coming your way.

If a HS coach thinks that an umpire is not doing his /her job, there is a Professional way to handle it and it is called the evaluation system In HS coaches have a say in who does their games, so in stead of losing it - Be professional.

In life things are not always going to go one's way and when they don't one has to learn how to control themselves. The jail cells are full of individuals who lost it

Pete Booth