View Single Post
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by brandda

Pete,

Is diving over a fielder illegal in LL as well? I cannot find a reference to it. Does it qualify as a headfirst slide?

In LL 12 and under age groups you cannot dive over a fielder as IMO, that would constitute a head first slide, however, a runner may slide head first retreating to a base, so it is possible even in the 12 and under age groups for a runner to Dive over a fielder if they are retreating to a base.

In Jr.'s and above, it is legal for a runner to dive over a fielder.
Pete, I have not done LL for many years. I had a discussion with Eastern Regional LL HQ's many years ago about diving over fielders. Their position then was going to the base or going back the answer was : "Diving over a fielder in any way is not condusive to the saftey of Little League players under the age of 13 years. Although not in the rule books, the umpire may declare an out on the side of saftey but not an ejection on the first offense.".

This was around 1992 when I got this information and it may have changed by now. If you have any ties to a Regional HQ, why don't you check it out and let us all know.

Thanks