View Single Post
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Regional game tonight: High throw from right field to third goes into home field dugout. Most of the players are out in foul territory cheering on their teammates. I couldn't see if the ball actually hit any of them or not. Anyway, ump gives 2 base award. The question is, should the ump penalize the players for being in foul territory or not (seeing as how this kind of thing happens a lot, the cheering that is) especially since the dugout had no fence right in front of it. If there is a penalty does the ball have to actually hit a kid or just in close proximity since they are in foul territory? Either way what would you call? Thanks for your help.
Depends on a few things. First, you say foul territory but how much space is there? I have been to places where there is maybe 10 feet and some that have 40 feet. If they are out so far that they are producing and obstruction of play then I might say something. On the other hand, the ground rules for the dugouts with no fencing should have been clarified at the plate meeting. Some dugouts have a 5' area in front of the dugout that some coaches will allow the players to on during a game, and some that ask that the players remain inside at all times. Tough call, I would say I might look at where these players were. Whomever does not like the call can blame it on the gaff in the plate meeting. JOHN