View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
I'm not sure. I make sure that I hear "TIME-OUT!" before I give the time out. They could be saying something else...just like a game tonight.

There was about 30 seconds left in the game. Home team was dribbling down the court...I was table side near division line going past home bench when I hear the coach saying "Time! Time!"

I did nothing..continued down. She kept saying, "Time, Time." I thought she was telling her players to watch the time on the clock. Finally one of her assistants said "Time-out," and I granted it realizing the coach was trying to call time out.

Long story short I guess you have to be sure the time out is what they wanted...then the coach has no recourse if he goes over his limit.
NM Ref, could you explain this in more detail?

There was a play on A’s side of the court and B knocks it out of bounds, partner signals to A and prepares for throwin. Two girls from A leave the bench and go to scorers table, who immediately buzzes. Girls run out onto court and take there places, without being beckoned (because I didn’t see them.). Almost at the exact same time Coach of A calls timeout. I signal timeout and we take our positions. Scorer calls me to the table and lets me know of the situation. I call partner over and ask him if he saw them come in. He said no, I said it didn’t matter anyway because the scorer and timekeeper both saw and confirmed what happened. My ruling?

I give Team A an administrative technical…but thats it. Thats where I messed up. At half I call a buddy and tell him what happened…he said I was right, but didn’t get it all…the technical should have been indirectly given to the coach and she should have lost her box…I didn’t do that…damnit. After half I go to Coach of A and let her know I administered wrong and T should have gone to her indirectly and she should have lost her bench. She appreciated the honesty and realized that she should have lost her box…oh well…lesson learned.