Thread: 4-44 Article 3
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
1. A1 is being pressured heavily in the front court and is forced to pick up his dribble. Left foot becomes pivot. Defense now overplays the passing lanes. A1 starts to pass to A2 but sees it would be picked off so he holds up. However, his momentum has carried him off his left (pivot) and onto his right foot. So now he's balancing on his right foot, left foot in the air. This is not a travel unless his left foot comes back down, correct?
Correct. This is not a violation, and he can legally stand on his right foot until he returns his left to the floor or commits any other violation or foul (or obviously passes or shoots the ball).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
2. The point guard (A1) begins to penetrate, drawing defenders to him. A1 then kicks it out to B1, who is setting up for a three on the right wing. B1 catches the pass, then does a small bunny-hop to square himself for the three. The bunny-hop was with both feet and after he caught the ball. Is this a travel? (IMO yes) If so, how close do you call it?
"Bunny-hopping" as you have described is illegal, and I will call it when I see it in a high school game. Depending on the level of play, this may get a pass from me in a middle school game.

There is a legal way to bunny-hop, and that's by executing a legal jump stop - if the player catches the ball with one foot on the ground, or catches in the air then lands on one foot, he can jump off that foot and onto both feet simultaneously, then jump to shoot or pass, or begin a dribble.

This is the one time a player who is standing and holding the ball (edit) may not establish a pivot foot.

Last edited by jdw3018; Tue Dec 11, 2007 at 11:57am.