View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
If a team has 6 men on the court and they score a basket, does the basket count? I don't have my rule book, but I think this a corrrectable error (incorrectly awarding points)?
Team A is losing the game and wishes to employ the strategy of scoring quickly while causing the clock to stop when B has the ball.

Instead of yelling fire and "going for the ball", which always takes time off the clock, and often much more than A would like, they do this:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now A is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.