Thread: Agree or not??
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Why do you have a problem if a StateHSAA fines schools for bad behavior? How a StateHSAA disciplines its member schools over bad behavior is not the concern of a game official. Officiate the game per the rules, period!

A StateHSAA has these rules in place to punish schools for bad behavior. Once an official starts to factor in what a StateHSAA is going to do to the school then the official is no longer doing his job as an official. The punishments that a StateHSAA levies against its member schools have no bearing on how the game is officiated.

Conduct that warrants an ejection whether there are fines or not is conduct that warrants an ejection. I am really suprised at the amount of hand wringing by officials in this thread over the punishments that a StateHSAA is imposing on its member schools. And official should do his job and not worry about it.

MTD, Sr.
As an official, I could care less. As an observer and fan of the game of basketball, I don't like it at first blush.

Now, I don't have nearly enough info to make a decision, but I'm also a realist that believes we currently don't see enough enforcement of the rules of sportsmanship and think there will be a lot of officials, whether they should or not, who will factor this into their decision on a "marginal" 2nd tech or a flagrant vs. non-flagrant foul.

Hopefully I'm wrong on both accounts and the fines act as deterrents AND officials don't allow them to impact their decision-making processes.

I'm certainly not "wringing my hands'" but I also enjoy good discussion about what states are doing in the area of sportsmanship enforcement. And I just don't like monetary fines at the high school level...