Thread: My fault...
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:06am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
I just don't get it. How in the blue hell am I at fault for this one.
I'm not going to get into percentages, because that's really stupid. And I don't think assigning blame ("fault") is necessary. What will be helpful is to avoid the situation in the future. So how do you keep from being straight-lined in transition?

I think M&M's advice is very good. You have to make a split-second decision and either go very wide or move into the middle of the floor. Your decision will depend on where the player is, obviously. If he/she is close to the sideline, then you want to get out onto the floor, and vice versa.

Quote:
This was a transition play and it wouldn't have matter what I did I wasn't going to see the players feet. Am I wrong on this.
Yes, I think so. You probably are never going to be in "perfect" position on this type of quick transition play, but you can work the angles a little better to see between the players. You have to get that angle anyway, so that you can see any contact on the shooter. So work inside/outside, depending on the position of the shooter.

As Trail, we have a tendency to want to stay on or near the sideline. If you can break that mindset, you will see that you can get great angles anywhere around the arc.