View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
OK. The NFL is different than other levels I work. When I work the NFL I will worry about what should have been done.
I'm not sure I follow you on this.... Do you think he should have been ejected or was a 30 yard penalty acessed on the kick off punishment enough? If you want to see the video, I'm sure you can google it but I would hope that you realize that an ejection is the only way to go

Quote:
If you have not noticed, Joey Crawford was suspended last year from the NBA for being overly aggressive (right or wrong). And you do not see what goes on in the NBA apply to other levels. You do not see big time D1 Officials challenging players and coaches. They do not need to. And showing your a tough guy does not work very well.
My comment about Joey Crawford was sarcastic. I totally agree with you about being overly agressive. Crawford's always been a hot head and I think he went overboard and Stern gave him a little "reality check". I'm glad he got a second chance because he's a good official and I bet he learned a lot from that situation. IMO, NBA players show the most disrespect towards officials than players in the NFL, MLB or NHL.

Quote:
... But you still see umpires willing to get in the face of the players when and ejection takes place. Why not just walk away and let the coach or player make a complete azz of themselves?
I agree that they should eject if necessary, then walk away. I think MLB has put an emphasis on getting away from the head bobbing arguments and moving towards more lower key discussions. The trend will continue to go in this direction: a classic example of this was the Lou Pinella - Mark Wegner confrontation this past season. For a baseball argument of that magnitude, I thought Wegner handled himself well and did not let Lou's shinanigans get the best of him.