View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again I think officials know the league will take action. Once again, I do not see this as a big deal...
The Big Deal is that Scott was not IMMEDIATELY ejected from the game for what he did. Do you think picking up an officials flag and throwing it in the stands should NOT result in an ejection from the current game? Come on Rut

Quote:
As a basketball official trying to be a “tough guy” can go against you rather fast.
Ask Joey Crawford about that -

Quote:
This is the difference between baseball umpires and other sports. Baseball umpires are worried about being called soft. I can tell you that as a basketball official the last thing I am ever worried about is being called soft. And as a football official it does not even cross my mind.
I think you bring up a good point here. Personally, I've always admired how basketball referees and football sideline officials seems so composed when players and coaches are screaming in the ear. Even when they throw a flag or give a T, they always seem to be under control.

I think MLB umpires are moving in that direction. Those days of the Earl Weaver/Billy Martin animated arguments are soon coming to in end because umpires are now just walking away. I think discussions on the baseball field will still get heated from time to time, but umpires will now do more things to difuse the situation rather than escalate the arguments.

Quote:
Michael Vick was not even convicted of anything and he was already suspended. I have never heard of a player in baseball even suspended for a DUI let alone anything they do on the field towards and umpire. So relax. I think the reason you do not see anyone talking about this, is because it is not that big of a deal.
I'm not really concerned with all of the off the field troubles that athletes get into. However, I do feel it's a big deal when they go to the media and say that the Refs are purposely cheating and the NFL is "fixing" games. Considering the amount of money that is wagered on games and the whole Donahay betting scandal - the last thing football needs is players coming up conspiracy theories and telling evey media outlet how crooked the officials are. Just my opinion - I'll take a chill pill now