View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rut - since you work both sports, your input is what I was looking for. Frankly, I'm surprised more people in this football section are not discussing this topic as it relates to the treatment of officials.

In reply, I realize that the comments regarding the integrity of the officials and the league were made AFTER the game. However, since those comments appeared in every major newspaper, TV and radio stations across the US on Tuesday, I don't understand what the NFL is "investigating". Allowing players to openly question the integrity of officials as well as the ethics of the league undermines the backbone of the sport and that has to be dealt with SWIFTLY and SEVERLY

As for Baltimore's Scott throwing the flag into the stands, that SHOULD have been an AUTOMATIC, IMMEDIATE ejection and no one will convince me otherise. And I know he was not ejected because he remained on the sideline and never left the field. I don't care how many yards he was penalized, he has got to go for that... PERIOD! Moreover, because Mr White Hat did not take care of business, it will only be a matter of time before some other idiot does the same thing and then what... he has screwed his fellow referees because he set a bad precident by allowing a player to do that and still remain in the game. That looks bad - REAL BAD now doesn't it?

I understand that the different sports handle on field actions differently - mainly because football has USC penalties and basketball has technical fouls they can hand out to diffuse situations. However, when a player crosses the line as bad as Scott did, an ejection has to be given or else an official will lose credibility and appear as "soft". Now I'm not saying you have to be a red a$$, but come on, what he did was totally unacceptable and ONLY punishable, IMO, with automatic EJECTION.