View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Questioning Integrity of Officials & League

Below are some comments from a couple of Baltimore Ravens players after Monday nights game against the Patriots...

McAlister said, ... “ It’s hard to go out there and play the Patriots and the refs at the same time... They put the crown on top of them, they want them to win"

Rolle said. "...They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."

Other Raven players were telling reporters that the NFL wants the Patriots to win because it sells more tickets and that the league is instructing the referees to give New England the benefit of the doubt on close calls so that they can remain undefeated

Also, Raven player Scott picked up an official's flag and hurled it into the stands

Baseball obviously handles the above situations differently than football.

1. Questioning the ingretity of an umpire and/or MLB is an automatic ejection (if done during the game) and an immediate fine and suspension if done publicly through the media (the league dishes out its punishment within 24 hours on these type of matters - I think the NBA handles it in a similar fashion)

2. I can't believe the player who throw the flag in the stands was not ejected IMMEDIATELY. How much more can you disrespect an official than what that idiot did? Also, what kind of precedent does that send to other players in the league - are they going to be able to get away with that? And no, penalizing a player, I don't care how many yards, does not take care of the problem

3. Here we are, 48 hours after these comments, and the NFL has done absolutely nothing to back it's officials. That is SAD!!!! McAllister, Rolle & Scott should have been fined and suspended for their comments/actions on Tuesday

4. As for the "Boy" comment - this should be dealt with separately. With this type of matter, it usually takes a little longer to get all of the details. I would imagine that this official will probably be suspended for a certain amount of games and probably deservedly so.

Can you football guys help this ignorant baseball umpire understand why things were handled so poorly - both by the referee who did not throw Scott out of the game and the NFL for not immediately handing out suspensions and fines for the integrity comments?????