Thread: Jump stop
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Jump stop

In a 2A varsity Boys game, I was trail in the front court. The nimble point guard had driven the lane all night, but passed off everytime, not ever taking a shot. The opposing team had set up in a 2 three zone. This time the point drove the lane, jumped off the pivot with a long stride as if to shoot, tucked it back in, landed on both feet. Jumped again and made the shot. I have to admit, it looked really weird. It developed really slow, strange, but absolutely, legal. I'm sure you've seen these type plays. Lead waves off the basket and calls the travel. Opposing team coach, is hollering travel. I retreat to the division line for the throw in. Point guard sets up next to me, looks over and says, what was illegal about what I did. I pause, look away to the baseline. Look back at him and say, "Ask the official down there, what he saw". I understand we are partners in this game, but sometimes, you have to let the other guy stand on his own whistle. I'll back my co-official all the way, but when I honestly don't have the answer, Its best to say nothing and refer questions to the calling official.
The only time I get involved in a call is if I am with a green official and he needs help. If a coach is biting his or her ear off, I'll go over and try to diffuse the situation and encourage the official. A bad call is just that. Get the ball back in play.