View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
From the AD: "DeRenzo pointed out that three ejections and three technical fouls is the most that can be dished out on one whistle, according to his interpretation of the PIAA basketball rules."

As soon as I read this, I questioned the accuracy of the rest of the AD's claim.

As JR pointed out, if 6 people come off the bench and all participate in the melee, I have 12 free throws for the other team.
I have never heard of a max in my 11 years of officiating. I have seen the PIAA cave and not enforce the rules. A few years ago a fight broke out in the State Championship game which left 3 players from one team and 4 from the other as non participants in the fight. The refs wanted to continue like that, but the PIAA overseer at the game overruled the officials and only one player was ejected - the star player for one of the teams. What happened was A1 was given a throw-in in front of B's bench. B6 kicked his leg up between the legs of A1 during the throw-in. Fight ensued. A1 was the only player ejected and the next year we got a policy to never administer a throw-in in front of an opposing team's bench.