Thread: Playoffs
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I work in Texas in one of the larger chapters in the state. We don't have specific experience requirements per se (though we probably should). I was assigned a playoff game this year -- in my 3rd year -- but while not unprecedented, its probably a rarity. I was sort of cautiously optimistic that I'd get one (based on a couple of things I won't go into here, but not political reasons), but had I not gotten one, I'd only have been mildly disappointed. The fact is that I had a good year with or without one.

However, there's a couple of things that might be unique to me:

1. Even though it was only my third year of football, I've officiated since 1988. While there is always room for improvement, I am fairly experienced in dealing with coaches.

2. Prior to working even a scrimmage, I sat and listened at 2 on field clinics, plus the state meeting, plus our chapter's training program. I have taken advantage of every training opportunity I could.

3. I have diligently attended meetings in 3 years and also worked a fairly decent number of games. I've clocked about 150 games at all levels.

4. I take care of business at my games, especially as a white hat. I know many guys say this but many fewer than that actually do it.

There are other guys with more camps, more training sessions, or more games worked in the same period of time in our chapter, but there isn't anyone with all the numbers I have. The fact is that I've put in the work and its been noticed. I will concede there has been some "right place right time" associated with that. I've also been flexible to accept VERY last minute assignments when called -- I'm talking about "game starts in less than an hour and you are an hour and a half away, but can you make it by start time..." type stuff.

Incidentally, the game I got wasn't EXACTLY the 5A (largest public school classification) playoffs.