View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Reversing my own call

Last night I was working boys' JV and the following situation happened: Tight game, 4th quarter, A1 brings the ball just over the timeline and B1 gets tight on him. A1 turns his back to B1 and pushes his dribble back towards the timeline. I clearly see it hit the imaginary "line" (large logo in center breaks the line up) and immediately whistle and signal over-and-back. Trouble is, as I'm signalling, the A bench hollers something and in my mind I groan "oh no". I saw the wrong line. It was one of the volleyball lines just inside A's frontcourt. I say "my bad!" (probably not an approved mechanic) "inadvertent whistle, still White ball".

My partner comes over to me with a quizzical look and I just tell her I made a mistake on which line it was, we're staying here. I don't think she was totally convinced I could do that. I wasn't totally convinced I could do that either but, at the moment, it was the best and fairest way I could think of. Team B coach never said a word which helped immensely. Any thoughts or rule citations on this?