View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
Let me be clear in saying that my conversation with this coach prior to the game was purely social. He recognized me and came to chat.
And let me be just as clear that imo it's just as bad to socialize with a coach before a game. Perception is reality. And the "reality" to anyone watching is that you're just having a good ol' time chatting up your dear friend, the coach.

If you want to socialize, get a room.....a room where nobody can see you.

Note that I'm past the point where I'm saying this for your benefit. You obviously disagree. That's fine with me; that's your right. I'd just like other new officials to think about what the image of an official and a coach socializing publicly before a game looks like to the other team, it's coaching staff, supporters, etc., not to mention your partners. As I said, to them perception is reality.

Btw, my association makes it easy for it's members. We simply inserted in our "Code of Conduct" that thou shall not socialize with anyone before games.

Again, it's jmo. But my opinion is that your pre-game socializing is gonna jump up and bite you in your hassock one day.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 06:07pm.