View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
10-5-1 By state association adoption, the head coach may be off the bench in front of his/her seat within the confines of the designated coaching box, as in 1-13-2 , for the purpose of coaching his/her team.

I went to observed a varsity tournament at a local high school. They have an annual tournament for their conference. Well, a coach of the opposing team was off the bench every time the other team went to shoot free-throws below the free throw line (first half). I found this odd because if a player was in the same location and he/she is not in the lane spaces or behind the arc it is a violation (disconcertion).

So, after the game I asked the officials why they allowed the coach to be in that location in the first half. The answer they gave me pissed me off. As long as, the coach is coaching and not bothering them directly they did not have a problem with it.

So, I brought up the disconcetion situation and they stated I was being an OOO and that I would have a hard time advancing worrying about the location of a coach when he/she is just coaching.

Coaches do rate officials in Missouri.

Thoughts?
Personally, I'm with you about enforcing the coaching box, but I've learned that most officials are not on board with that. They just don't have the desire to make the effort. So yes what you heard is a popular excuse. The NCAA has made it a huge point this year that that attitude is unacceptable. We'll see how long this remains the case and if it affects assignments and NCAA/NIT selections.

That said, I think that you need to specify how big the box is in your state. In mine it's 14 feet, which does extend below the FT line. It starts at the 28 foot line and goes towards the end line, so the coach can be down to about the second marked lane space below the FT line PER THE RULE. Now if you have a six foot box, then it's halfway between the FT line and the top of the FT semicircle.

I've never felt that enforcing the rules and cleaning up the game is OOO, but there are many who do and many who have stated so on this forum.