View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:18pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I found this odd because if a player was in the same location and he/she is not in the lane spaces or behind the arc it is a violation (disconcertion).

So, after the game I asked the officials why they allowed the coach to be in that location in the first half. The answer they gave me pissed me off. As long as, the coach is coaching and not bothering them directly they did not have a problem with it.
First, yes, it would be a violation for a player to stand there, but it would not be disconcertion. They just can't stand there. It would be like lining up in the wrong lane space. They're just not allowed to be there.

Second, many officials take this attitude. "As long as they're coaching, I don't care where they stand". Unfortunately, it's our job to care about it. (In fact, it's a huge POE in college this year.) So after the first free throw, I would quietly walk to the coach and remind him to back off the court and find the box.

Third, I don't think you'd be OOO by enforcing it, but what would you do about it, other than what I mentioned above? You can't call it a free throw violation. All you could do is T up the coach. And I would not do that without talking to him first.

This is very easy to handle with a 3-person crew, because the Trail official is right there. But in 2-person (except in Texas, I guess), the Trail is opposite the table and it's harder to communicate with the coach quietly.