View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
The english language has officially reached 1 million words.

No reason to curse or use profanity or other indiscretions with so many alternatives at our discretion.
That is simply not true. Since you're a preacher, I'll use this example.

A pastor was delivering his sermon one Sunday. He was stressing the fact "loving your neighbor" means loving everyone, not just those people who live conveniently nearby. He spoke of the plight of Ethiopians affected by devastating drought.

"Hundreds of thousands of people have starved to death in that country. But here in this country, most people just don't give a damn about that."

He paused.

"And the really sad fact is that most of you are more concerned that your pastor just said 'damn' than you are about 200,000 starving brothers and sisters."

A silly little parable, but it illustrates that profanity sometimes has a purpose that normal discourse can't provide. In this case, it was intended to jar the audience into a perspective that the facts and figures alone didn't illuminate.

I'm not saying that profanity is always a good thing, or that it should never be punished on the basketball court. I'm simply trying to illustrate that it's not really true to say that there's "no reason" for profanity. There are lots of reasons. They may just not be valid on the basketball court.