View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
What was the Lead official looking up at the RIM for? He should be watching waste height for body banging. It's like Goal tending or BI that should be called by the C or T officials for hanging on the RIM.
If we are talking about the play in the OP, the lead is likely the best person to see where players are in relationship to the basket. It is hard for the other officials to make this call unless they know without a doubt there was some showboating going on. Calling hanging on the rim is very different than calling a BI or GT from the lead.

Also to say that the other official saw something is also irrelevant to this call. This is completely a judgment call and it is very possible that two officials with similar backgrounds disagree. I was watching a game last night from the stands before the game I was going to work and there was an illegal screen called. In my opinion I felt the contact was legal or incidental and my partner that was sitting next to me thought it was a foul. Officials make calls also based on their experiences and understanding of rules and experiences enforcing those rules. Just because one official saw something does not make them correct. They just might have a different perspective.

Peace