View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgrund
I am a beginning referee and wanted a professional opinion on what to do in this situation.

I was watching a Tournament Championship game today. With the score 40 - 40, team A made a three-pointer which ended the game. Team A won 43 - 40.

But hold on...

In celebration, two players from team A removed their jerseys. The refs called two technical fouls. Team B shot and made all four shots winning the game 44 - 43.

In terms of rules, I know this this indeed calls for a technical foul. I also know that the official's jurisdiction does not end until they leave the visual confines of the court.

With that being said, I believe that in that situation, I would have walked over to the scoring table, signed the sheet, and immediately left the gym, with my back to the court. I felt as if this procedural foul did not affect the game, and thus, shouldn't have an effect on the outcome of the game.

Would I have made the right choice here? What other options are there? What would you have done in this situation?
To me, it would depend on when the shirts came off. As the buzzer sounded, did the players run onto the floor, ripping their shirts off? Or was it 5 minutes later and the refs were standing talking to the scorekeeper about their kids' graduation party?

We are told to sign the sheet ahead of time, and get the hell out of Dodge asap after the horn.

But that doesn't negate the idiocy of some players who couldn't possibly wait a few more seconds to be obnoxious.