View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
I would have simply moved him back and explained to the coach that this particular posture has no place in the game. I would reference 10-3-7-C. Just because a situation is legal doesn't meant that it is appropriate or sportsmanlike. For example, it is legal to save a ball and throw it off of the opponents face but it is more sporting and appropriate to save it off his leg. It is a judgment call by the official. This would apply in this situation as well, IMO.
Boy, I don't know Rev. Not having seen the play myself, I can't say for sure, but I don't know that you can call anything on this kind of play during play. I think legal defense, even stifling, is different from saving the ball off someone's face. I would definitely back the guy during game stoppages (not the dead balls after made baskets). But this kind of defense, played legally, is just great basketball. If you really feel that something needs to be done, just carefully don't miss any illegal contact, and call it all. But I don't see how you can require him to back up from playing legally, however close.