View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Why not.... I'm not saying that a coach is qualified to say that your call is right or not.. but it your calling lets say... traveling.. if you call it the same every time.. that is consistency... now the coach may argue wheather its traveling or not, but what I want to know more than anything is if I consistently callled it the same every time. Most coaches I have talked to have said if you gonna call it that way... do it for the entire game. Its probably the biggest gripe I have heard.

So.. yes a coach can tell you if you are being consistent.
I disagree that a coach's opinion of your consistency is going to be valid. Their opinion is colored by their bias. You call a charge on one end and a block on the other end, they consider that inconsistent even when it's not.

One game last year, I had a travel call on a three point shooter. Other end of the court, very next play, I had the other team execute a perfect jump stop prior to his 3-point shot and the coach was whining about consistency. They weren't the same thing, but they were close enough to look like it to a biased observer.

Again, I stand by my disagreement. Consistency is not where coaches ought to be rating officials.

Maybe, game management and approachability. Hustle. Maybe.