Thread: Indy/SD
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:57am
I Bleed Crimson

Thanks for the video post. I didn't know the NFL had these available to watch other than on the NFL network. This is great if you miss a show.

I find a couple of things interesting about his explanation of the official with the IW.

Pereira says that the official needs to learn to take his whistle out of this mouth. You'd think an experienced official (and you think one would have to be quite experienced to make it to the NFL) would already do that. After my first IW I never put my whistle back in my mouth and left it hanging. Many others switch to finger whistles just to prevent this. And I don't think there is any way an NFL official made it all the way through the ranks without an IW.

He also said that the official, being his first year out of NCAA, got excited about the play and confused the NCAA with the NFL rule (i.e. down by contact). This explanation seemed to try and mitigate the IW. I think it much more realisitic that the official thought the pass incomplete, and this explanation by Pereira saves face. I'm probably reading into it too much, but that's my gut feeling.