Thread: rotation
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is really hard to tell what to do based on what you just described. For one was the team playing the ball to one side? In other words, was the ball likely to be played on your side of the court (where you were as lead)? Also I do not know why your partner that was at the C had to automatically move to a trail position.

I am also going to assume this was a girl's game (considering that the girl's season started yesterday in Illinois) and you likely worked with an official that is used to working with or has college experience. That being said there are people that think the minute the ball moves to the other side of the lane, you should rotate. That is the College Women's Mechanic but not the IHSA Mechanic. I would agree that you might close down to be ready to rotate, but it is not automatic in that situation. You have players on your side of the lane and if they are fighting for position and running screens, you might need to watch that. This is especially true if the ball is not within the 3 point area.

That just touches the surface, I am sure you will clarify further.

Peace
Agree with Rut that this is a college mechanic for the T to basically initiate the rotation. If there was a trap at half court on C side, we pre-game all the time that that is the one situation where C will initiate the rotation and move up to T. Doesn't sound like that is the case here, just that C followed the ball back to T....not a terrible mechanic, I actually wish that NF would follow it...if the idea is to get officials in the best position to see what is going on, in that situation if you have a steal and play going the other way, that official has a much better chance to get a look at it if they are now the new L....as C though you do have the latitude to move a few steps above the FT line extended, so you can usually get up far enough to get a look from there...bottom line though is pre-game all of this and officiate the game, nobody is going to care if you have "two trails" for a few seconds in order to get the best look at the play...