View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I'm thinking about my last post and you know what...For me, no it's not acceptable....It's just not a term that I would use... and I find the term rather offensive to describe contact in a basketball game. There is a certain visual element that we can all picture of the term rape and it's just not a pretty one...not something you would want to try to explain the real world term to a 10 year old if they were asking...What is rape?

The fact this was a girls game AND the age of the girls probably influenced my decision a bit more. I'm human, I have 2 daughters and that's just not something I feel is acceptable for a youth coach to be spouting off about...I can say that I'd have done the same if it were 10 year old boys...

How I would handle the situation on a boys varsity level, all things being equal (same game, same play etc, but with V boys)????

I can't say, honestly....I'd have to be in the element at the time...(and I'm trying to take my position here, which is what you are asking me to do)....It's a deep thought question...

I want to tell you that I would handle it the same on any level....but I don't think I'm going Flagrant T and tossing the Varsity coach but I do feel strongly enough to say that I'm still issuing a T...To me he's crossed the line with his comment....he might as well said we were F-ing them.....and frankly I'd rather he did...

Not trying to call you out.

we are all human here and honestly... I probly wouldnt have even noticed cause I have heard that term used in that way so many times that it wouldn't have triggered anthing in me.

because of that I feel bad now and from now on I WILL pay more attention to it, but also must be consistent.

for example.

"my kids are getting murdered out there."

I think that maybe when I hear these terms I will just politly say somthing to the coach about being considerate... if there is an issue after that... WHACK.

Just trying to be fair to them too...

also.. just a thought.. by throwing him out you brought alot of attention to that coach.. Guaranteed those 10 year old girls will be asking him why he got tossed.

Again.. dont take this as second guessing cause I agree with what you did.