View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
I have 2007 IAABO Refresher Exam.
Question 74: During an Alternating throw-in, A-1's throw-in is intentionally kicked. Official awards the ball back to Team A and rules this is still alternating possession throw-in. Is the official correct?
The answer sheet says YES. Rule 4-42-5
Oh My Gosh!
This answer is totally wrong. It is not because I said so, it is because the head of interpreters for IAABO said so.

The "wrong" interpretation was issued by IAABO this summer in its Sportorials newsletter. I contacted Peter Webb, who is IAABO's "coordinator of interpreters" who acknowledged it was wrong. I don't know how it did not get changed before being put on the refresesher exam.

This is Peter's direct quote on this play:
The violation for "kicking" causes the very next/subsequent throw-in to be because of the kicking violation, it is a new throw-in situation. Team A would not lose the APTI. The arrow would not change as the APTI throw-in has not ended. The next/subsequent jump ball/held ball ruling would be a APTI for Team A.

The situation can be viewed like a APTI has been awarded to Team A and prior to the throw in ending, a player on Team A or Team B commits a foul. The APTI is placed "on hold" and the penalty for the foul is applied. The next/subsequent jump ball/held ball ruling will be a APTI for Team A.

The reason for the rule change was that it appears to be consistent with the "foul situation" under the same circumstances.