View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Repeat after me, "Over the back! And one! Reach! Where's the foul?"
Now you've had as much coach training as everyone else.

Have fun and enjoy your extra time with your daughter. Make sure the girls have a blast and learn to love the game like you do.

From an uneducated coaches perspective, I feel the teaching aspect of youth basketball should include a balance of drills teaching the most basic of basics and drills that incorporate the basics learned into something fun yet competitive. When I say youth basketball, I mean from the earliest of ages (2nd grade) all the way up to high school. The more advanced youngsters will be able to build more advanced skills on their foundation of basics, and hopefully by the time they are older, the "fun and competitive" aspect will come from their love for the game and, knowing that this type of skill development works, doing drills in itself becomes fun and competitive.

Players of all ages need to be taught and reminded of the basics at all levels, and it is very empowering and confidence building for the youngsters to have something to rely on during the course of a season. For example, if a 2nd grader has trouble hitting the rim on a shot, loses control while dribbling, but has the supreme confidence that "coach taught me how to catch the ball and pivot, and if worse comes to worse all I have to do is keep pivoting and no one can take the ball from me", you will have a pivoting machine that will not turn the ball over, which will in turn help your player become a better passer or dribbler, etc...

But if all that doesn't work and you player keeps travelling, just tell the ref they "have no eff-ing intergrity and they should be ashamed for cheating my girls and she got fouled, thats why she travelled!!!!"