View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
That's a point I suppose. Good point. Hmmm... Okay, I think that it's a throw-in violation on the basis that when A2 stepped oob, before retrieving the ball, the ball became dead. Or when A2 reached through the plane before touching the ball. Or when the ball never crossed inbounds before it was touched by A2. Yup, that's my story and I"m sticking to it. Throw-in violation, ball to Bl at the point where it was thrown.

OK, let's modify the play a little bit to isolate the real question that is being asked in this thread:
A1 steps OOB for a throw-in following a made goal by B. A1 passes the ball on the OOB side of the boundary plane to the corner of the court where A2 catches the ball while it is still on the OOB side of the boundary plane. A2 also has one foot inbounds and one foot touching the OOB line (but on the side line).
This play removes the issue of the player being OOB during the throwin and makes it a question solely about whether catching the ball before it crosses the line takes precedence over catching the ball while the player has OOB status.
A2's OOB location could just as well be the endline but then that would introduce the possibility of A1 trying to pass to A2 for a legal throwin but A2 didn't get all the way OOB....so I wanted to eliminate that from the equation:

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 11:45am.