View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
I suggest that we abandon the effort to coorect eveyone and accept that a ball tipped by the bat that goes backwards and is NOT caught by the catcher should now be called a FOUL TIP. That would be the easiest thing because everyone calls it a foul tip anyway. It makes sense because it is "foul" and it is a "tip."

Then we should create a new term to describe what we used to call a "foul tip." I suggest the new term be called a LIVE TIP. That term works because the it is a live ball that was tipped, and not using the word "foul" removes the confusion that the ball is, or is not, live.

Okay, then we follow that pattern and everytime an announcer or anyone else, for that matter, can't use proper terminologly, we make up new ones so they won't be mistaken.

Sheeeeeesh.

And I thought "no child left behind" was a disaster.

People, there is nothing wrong with a little education and expecting those who make a living broadcasting sports to understand and use the proper vocabulary.

The trend for the world to change because a couple of idiots can't seem to learn should not do to baseball what it has done to high school.